• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Sliding Cabin Door Sticks

WaterLover
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Folly Beach, SC

Sliding Cabin Door Sticks

Post by WaterLover »

I have owned my Albin for only a few weeks and while I love her, getting in and out has become a sticky situation! The heavy sliding wood doors are not sliding so well. Does anyone have any good advice on how to improve this situation?
Thanks,
Annie
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Sliding Cabin Door Sticks

Post by jleonard »

Try cleaning it up. But you'll likely have to remove the door and lube or replace the rollers.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

Annie,

For a quick fix, I spray a little silicone lubricant on the bottom slide rail. Here's a good article on a permanent fix (lots of good projects on that site):

http://trawler-beach-house.blogspot.com ... -door.html

Rob
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
WaterLover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WaterLover »

Thanks so much Rob and Leonard. I am going to start with a good cleaning and lube job and if that doesn't work will move on with the big project posted in the trawler-beach-house blog. Thanks so much for the wonderful blog link Rob. What a great new resource for me.
Best,
Annie
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

Interesting that you mention this, because this was my project for the day.

My door has been very hard to open for way too long. The only way to keep it working was by rubbing the track with bees wax. Finally even that wouldn't do it.

I removed the piece of wood on the bottom, and removed the brass track. The door was easily removed. I found two little cast brass housings that each hold a 1 inch steel ball bearing. The bearing stopped turning during the early part of the Reagan administration. The bottom surfaces had worn smooth. One wore through leaving sharp edges that refused to slide along the brass track.

While the door is out I stripped it and will revarnish before I reinstall it.
Two stainless steel 26 mm sealed ball bearings, two bushings, and two roll pins, and it now works just as it should. In fact, it rolls too easily. Total cost, $16. Found the bearing a bearing supplier and the roll pin and bushing at the hardware store

I bought a piece of plastic if I had to go that way, but I'm not into reinventing the wheel.

The original hardware has guides that keep the door on the track, replacing it with plastic looks like a nightmare to make the heights correct, (my door is very tight) and with no guides it's the wood that would wear, (In my mind, a very bad idea) and fabricating the plastic seemed to be much harder.

Using plastic is a "jury rig" way to fix something that turned out to be simple to fix, uh, properly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by Despacio on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 10 times in total.
WaterLover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WaterLover »

Despacio,
Rob gave a great blog link on how to replace the worn hardware in your door with a plastic based product rather than with metal hardware. Take a look at it here:
http://trawler-beach-house.blogspot.com ... -door.html

-Annie
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Post by bccanucker »

I use white lithium grease on the bottom metal track. Works great!!
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
lfrankooh
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Cleveland, Ohio

Post by lfrankooh »

Our 1978 doesn't have wheels - just what seems to be a stainless steel strip as the bottom track (on the frame). Our doors remove by simply lifting them up so it was easy to put a strip of self stick linoleum flooring (left over from a friends project) on the bottom of the door. So now the flooring slides on the stainless strip!

Works great - of course this is not a permanent fix as we replace the linoleum strip every 6 months or so.

Linda
Yesterday's Dream
1978 36' Double Cabin
WaterLover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WaterLover »

Roy, I tried the lithium grease and it is working like a charm! Now to see how long it lasts...

My doors also don't have wheels and slide on a copper strip. Found out that they just lift up and out too. This boat exploring can be fun!
jchicola
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: panama city fl

Post by jchicola »

our guy in panama city fl fitted a small block of Teflon, notched to lay on top of the brass bar like a saddle. two per door. now it's a one-finger operation. we had no luck finding the replacement rollers but the Teflon blocks work very very well. John-Albin 43 High C's
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Avalon, NJ

Post by psneeld »

threeBelles wrote:Roy, I tried the lithium grease and it is working like a charm! Now to see how long it lasts...

My doors also don't have wheels and slide on a copper strip. Found out that they just lift up and out too. This boat exploring can be fun!
I find the dry Teflon of silicone works a little better...the grease attracts too much dirt but that's a function of where you have your boat...we have a dusty parking lot...cruising salt crystals also slow the door down..truly just keeping it clean is the trick.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I use this dry lubricant on my pilothouse sliding windows and it works well.

http://www.mclubemarine.com/sailkote/
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

jchicola wrote:our guy in panama city fl fitted a small block of Teflon, notched to lay on top of the brass bar like a saddle. two per door. now it's a one-finger operation. we had no luck finding the replacement rollers but the Teflon blocks work very very well. John-Albin 43 High C's
That sounds like a great fix. Do you have any pictures of the setup?
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
varmont
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by varmont »

Couple quick blasts of SailKote every 4 weeks and the doors slide like butter.

Return to “36/37/40/43”