• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel tanks

GGUTHRID
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Hartge Yacht Harbor, Galesville, Maryland

Re: Fuel tanks

Post by GGUTHRID »

On my 1980 Albin 40 Trunk Deck Bright Pleiades, the original pig iron 200-gallon tanks (one on each side) were cut up and removed in pieces through the engine room hatch in the main cabin. Four 87-gallon aluminum tanks were custom built by Eastport Spar and Rigging, Annapolis, and installed through the engine room hatch in the main cabin. The hull was never cut open at all, and the engine was not removed. That was 2006.

The tanks are plumbed so that two of them (I call them auxiliary tanks) can be isolated with ball valves. We've never used the auxiliary tanks and have gone nonstop from one end of the Chesapeake Bay to the other with plenty of fuel left over in the two main tanks.

For my operating area (Chesapeake and tributaries) I actually prefer the new tanks' smaller fuel capacity. They give plenty adequate range, and the fuel stays fresher since I tank up more often.
jolly rodgers
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: chesterfield, MI, USA

Post by jolly rodgers »

New to Albin ownership. I have two fuel tanks, but only one is in use. Can't figure out how to get the second tank working.
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

jolly rodgers wrote:New to Albin ownership. I have two fuel tanks, but only one is in use. Can't figure out how to get the second tank working.
Hi;
Does it have fuel in it? How fresh is it? Is there a fuel line attached to the intake? A small brass ball cock valve? What position is it in?

If the fuel has been sitting for a long time I'd recommend pumping it out, cleaning the tank, then refilling it.

Old fuel is trouble.
psalbin43
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fall River, MA

Post by psalbin43 »

Komreddi wrote:I have the fuel tanks replaced and sides put back in the boat. I am cruising again with the new perspective . I don't have to worry about rusty tanks anymore .the operation was a success .

I know its late in the year after you've completed your tank replacement and I don't know if you have considered it yet but think about installing your own fuel polishing system. I replaced my two large fuel tanks with eight 50 plus gallon tanks. Then I added the fuel polishing system and now use it to filter fresh diesel before I put it to engine use. I bit the bullet then installing as many tanks as I did and I'm glad I did so then. Its great to be able to filter and move the fuel to where I want it.
Also having new tanks installed now is the perfect time to add such a system. I picked up mine (GCF Fuel Polishing System) on ebay. Complete system used but for about a third the price.

Have fun exploring the coast,
Paul

Return to “36/37/40/43”