• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Single-handing the Albin 25?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Single-handing the Albin 25?

Post by Sunsetrider »

I read somewhere someone claiming that the A25 is good for single-handing. Having had a number of days out on Manatee now, and considering the enclosed wheelhouse with no graceful fast access to docks, I find myself seeking advice from anyone who currently or in a previous life learned the tricks and tips to make single-handing this boat possible. For example - how to best set on-dock and/or on-boat lines. Steering wheel lock: how about a bungee cord?
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Robdog.1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Texas

Re: Single-handing the Albin 25?

Post by Robdog.1 »

I've done about 4-6 locks and docks single handed. I've found that if I have fenders out on the planned side and have the canvas over the helm seat opened, it's just a matter of grabbing a lock line or pulling alongside the quay and stepping out and onto the dock or sea wall.
I leave my transient lines coiled, 2 at the bow cleat, one on each spring cleat and two at stern center cleat. Just grab and go.
Also, I keep a telescoping dock pole clipped on cabin roof on port side parallel to grab rail.
Go slow, use wind and current in your favor and don't hesitate to ask for help!!!
Rob
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

As Rob points out prep is an important part of single handing. On our fly bridge 35, where I have to climb down a ladder, I have fenders out and bow, spring, and stern lines all coiled in the cockpit before approach. A little bit of planning makes all the difference.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

I'll practice by having the crew keep still . . . but ready just in case!
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

I have a short line spliced onto the cleat behind helm seat. The line is about 6 foot long and has a eye spliced in the end. I always leave the bow line attached to the bow cleat, but lead the line outboard of the guard rails and coil it next to my short line on the seat behind the helm. Coming along side means getting a quick turn on the short line the getting out with the bow line in hand. Been doing it on my own for years.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

I took Manatee out alone today - in incredible 21 degree temps - and docked in a sheltered bay on Beaurivage Island in the 1000 Islands. I left the starboard fenders out (shame!) and had lines attached to all stbd cleats (and bow cleat). The castng off and docking - both ends of the voyage - went very well, no drama. This boat handles so friggin well esp. when docking to stbd! I was able to step off calmly with midship line in hand, secured it to the dock cleat, then walk up to the bow to secure the bow line. Then moved the mid line back to the stern.

Remaining issue - how to secure the wheel so I can move away from it in transit.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

I hope those degrees are Centigrade, not Fahrenheit. I pilot Quest alone most of the time. One policy I have is to get the boat secure to something on the dock before even thinking about moving to the dock. This is particularly important if you have wind or current pushing you away from the dock. You don't want to be on the dock if the boat gets away. Similarly when leaving the dock, I always remove the last line from the boat. This is easily done by having a line that is secured to a cleat on the boat, goes around a piling or dock cleat, and back to the cleat on the boat. Simply release one end from the boat and pull it around the piling or flip it off the dock cleat and your free. Even when I have other people on board, I discourage them from jumping to the dock with a line in hand when docking and insist on having everyone on board before the last line is released when leaving.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Good practice Lou. I will try to follow those steps. Sometimes difficult with an eager and confident 24-yr-old aboard!
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

have lines and fenders ready as folks above have said..the mid ship line (to me) is the most important...pull the bow and the boat can do things you don't want..I have it ready but hold the mid and stern for the initial landing...also I have a 20' throw line that has a metal (rubber coated)hook..sort of like a question mark shape...so if the wind or current might blow me off I use this to toss across the dock or bollard and it allows me to pull the boat close enough to step off...biggest rule (for me) never jump, or let anyone else jump, the gap..it rarely is pretty. Also, if windy or high current get your line around a cleat fast...you will be able to hold against nature a lot better.
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

So true about focusing on the mid line or at least the stern before the bow. I'm finding single-handing going quite well - have so far not been hit by strong breezes while doing it and when that happens - if I'm lucky - there will be a willing hand on dock to catch me. :lol:
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”