• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Prop Cleaning - thoughts??

rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Prop Cleaning - thoughts??

Post by rebuckley »

Since the “mini-me’s” are back in sports this time of year, the boating weekends take the hit. This was our last run prior to haul out so we were pretty excited for a foliage run. Instead, I was greeted with a wicked vibration, lots of smoke, RPMs barely creeping up and a max speed of around 4 knots. It seems that with our last blast of extra warm air/water and my lack of boat time – every barnacle in 20 miles decided my prop was a great place for a party. Of course I had removed my dive gear a few weeks back, so it was hold my breath and scrape. Got it clean enough to make it run, but it will need a good scrub when it is on the hard.
So – looking for advice on cleaning it when we haul. I have read plenty of forums and it seems there is no “holy grail” for cleaning, but just wondered how far to really go.
They will power-wash on the haul, and that gets most of the “chunks”, but I want to get their little bases off too. I was thinking some acid (HCl) wash with a brush. Do I need to get a wire brush on my drill (or is that a bad idea?) DO I need to see my reflection in the prop? I keep hearing no paint really works well, but by price, Petit makes a zinc paint that is cheap and lasts as well as the more expensive stuff.
Open for suggestions!!
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Prop Cleaning - thoughts??

Post by Tree »

Reb,

Just a thought for when it is clean, how about a product like http://www.ropestripper.com/henleys.php ?

Lee
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I would NOT use a wire brush on a drill. Too much possibility of damage.
I scrape mine when necessary with a putty knife, then I use very fine sandpaper to remove the bases.
If my prop is off (I own a puller) I use Muriuatic acid, it dissolves the bases quickly. I don't leave it on for very long, just long enough to soften, then I rise with water to neutralize.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

I saw alot of zinc paint applied to running gear this year by the local yards, but no firsthand knowledge on if it works. We have low speed boats with low rpm props (<1,000 rpm), so the paint would probably stay on. How about being the tester for the rest of us? I use the emory cloth plumbers use for copper tubing that comes in a long roll and just wrap it around props and shaft while giving the old rub-a-dub......shines it right up. Acid is a good bet also. Also very useful for removing rust stains when mixed 50/50 with water and sprayed or rubbed on. Wear heavy rubber gloves.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

Thanks! -

Jleonard - I was wondering if the drill/brush would be too much. I like the plumber emory cloth idea.

I think I will do an acid wash / manual scrape / emory cloth then I will drop some cash on the Zinc paint and give a report next season. I also hear that there is a "zinc paint" from Krylon or Rustoleum - which apparently differs from Petit (meaning they do not have the 40% "marine" mark up). I may try a little of each in different areas on the gear.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

I bought zinc paint from McMaster-Carr online. Has the same % zinc as Petit. Was lots cheaper. I used it for the 2012 season, prop was clean at haul out but I was running almost every day and I was in fresh water most of the time.
This summer I ran a naked prop and it came out clean also.
So, I am saving my time and money next year. :mrgreen:
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

When people ask what I use to keep my running gear clean I just tell them "diesel fuel"
It takes a minute and then they understand..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

:mrgreen:
RobS wrote:When people ask what I use to keep my running gear clean I just tell them "diesel fuel"
It takes a minute and then they understand..
Yup, run that puppy till she spins them barnacles! When they're dizzy they jump off! :lol:
Dump a little beer overboard and you don't have to burn as much fuel before they jump.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Well, I guess I'm a bit more aggressive. I use an angle grinder with a wire cup and go at it. (If you do this eye and hand protection is a must!!) My nimbral props look just beautiful when I'm done.

As far as paint, I've used the zinc based Petit with limited success. I'm of the burning diesel fuel mindset.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “36/37/40/43”