• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

steering cylinder replacement

brookesmith
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Horn Harbor Marina Port Haywood, VA

steering cylinder replacement

Post by brookesmith »

1979 36' double cabin - The steering hydraulic cylinder in the lazarett started leaking fluid.
It is located on the bulkhead forward of the starboard water tank. In order to change the steering cylinder the starboard water tank has to come out. in order for the starboard water tank to come out the rudder has to be dropped out of the way and the port water tank has to slide over a bit. So, the boat has to be hauled and blocked. Hey while we are in there we should change the water lines on the tanks, the fill hoses, the site hoses and the valves that are frozen. Also the rotten plywood the starboard water tank has had under it for 34 years needs to be replaced. Did we mention the aft head bathtub drain must be leaking as the bulkhead the steering cylinder seems water stained at the base as seen inside the aft head cabinet. So, new rudder packing too.
Who knows how to change the hose on the tub???? Can the tub come out?? Just thought everyone would want to know all of that in case your steering cylinder starts leaking....

Brooke Smith "Liquid Therapy" Albin 36
ps - I'm sure I'll need some liquid therapy when I get the bill.
Millard C. Smith ( Brooke )
brookesmith at yahoo dot com
2367 Old Church Rd.
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
804-779-3234 home
804-338-1227 cell

Liquid Therapy
1979 36' Albin DC
MTOA 4107
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/liquidtherapy
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Re: steering cylinder replacement

Post by Panhdjoe »

I looked at Fireman Bobs 79 36 classic last spring, While looking the boat over he described how he replaced his steering cylinder. If I recall correctly he loosened whatever holds down the starboard tank and put a old style automotive type scissors jack between the bulkhead and the tank and pushed the tank back far enough to get to the fitting and bolts then replaced it with the boat in the water. A tedious and time consuming job but doable.... Joe
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
brookesmith
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Horn Harbor Marina Port Haywood, VA

Post by brookesmith »

I would think the jack thing could be risky. The mechanic tried to work on the cylinder with the tank in and slid it back as far as he could. The bolts still came out until they hit the tank. So, it was on to plan 2. At least I got new rudder packing, the inside of the lazarett painted, bonding wires reconnected,new valves on the water tanks, new hose for the tanks all the way to a good junction point in front of the tub, new site tubes and new drain hoses for the lazarett channel around the hatch. I do most work on the boat. But sometimes you just have to have muscle...
Millard C. Smith ( Brooke )
brookesmith at yahoo dot com
2367 Old Church Rd.
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
804-779-3234 home
804-338-1227 cell

Liquid Therapy
1979 36' Albin DC
MTOA 4107
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/liquidtherapy
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

Sounds like you made the best choice, I just thought the way he told me about doing it was interesting. I will be up your way next weekend to get the survey done on "Salty Dog" in Urbanna. if we do the deal we will leave the boat up there till spring. I hope we can visit before she comes down to South Carolina. Joe
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki

Return to “36/37/40/43”