• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Looking for 36 or 40 DC

leroadrunner
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: none

Looking for 36 or 40 DC

Post by leroadrunner »

We are looking to become liveaboards.

I am searching for an Albin 36DC or 40DC with importance to low GPH, so preferably with the older engine.
I have seen a few Marine Traders, but believe Albins to be more liveable and of better quality. Is that a correct impression?

As long as the interior is liveable and that the boat is sound, exterior cosmetic issues are not a problem.

Appreciate any leads.

Thanks!
Steph
Check out our blog at http://www.cruisingdream.com
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Avalon, NJ

Re: Looking for 36 or 40 DC

Post by psneeld »

With these older trawlers if they were taken care of great...if not you can quickly wind up with a can of worms most people can't deal with...especially if economy is a byword.

A trashed Albin is no better anything than a well kept MT...that said...I do like my layout second to none...except the lower helm seat which is the most uncomfortable seat on the planet...including electric chairs.

Some flybridges are nicer than others....I like mine now...got rid of everything and just put back a small chest freezer and some great folding chairs.

Don't get too serious about older engines...I'm happy my engine was a recently rebuilt Lehman (but any repower would have pleased me) and some engines that are newer are more economical unless really high hp or may have been properly rebuilt with a smaller engine than even the 120 Lehman.

If you buy one that has set in warm water all it's life...get a really good surveyor to fine tooth the hull...mine is an 1988 (laid up 1987) and the hull was falling apart from hydrolysis in several places...one are was approx 5x6 foot (starboard side midship) and delaminated half way through the laminates.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
meridian
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Looper

Post by meridian »

We just put our 36-DC on the market. I PM'd Steph.
-------------------------------
Terry
leroadrunner
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by leroadrunner »

psneeld wrote:...
Don't get too serious about older engines...I'm happy my engine was a recently rebuilt Lehman (but any repower would have pleased me) and some engines that are newer are more economical unless really high hp or may have been properly rebuilt with a smaller engine than even the 120 Lehman.
drolysis in several places...one are was approx 5x6 foot (starboard side midship) and delaminated half way through the laminates.
Thanks Scott, all great points.

I do not know much about diesel (yet)...will take a course to learn how to maintain. You're probably right about age of engine. One of my priority is definitely getting a very economical gph, as I have heard of horror storie on gas bills... I know someone with a 37 footer that did the great loop documented at 1.7gph. It was a perkins turbo...maybe that makes a difference.

Anyways, lots to learn. Love the layout of the 40.
Steph
Chester B

Post by Chester B »

We have a 36 DC with a Ford-Lehman 135hp with over 6,000 hours. When we purchased it several years ago I was pretty worried about the hours. Every mechanic I have talked to as well as American Diesel (the original US importers) have assured me that the motor is just getting going; it should be good for 20,000 hours or more if maintained. That means it is good for another 15 great loop trips! As far as diesel mechanics go, learn the basics and make sure the air, oil and fuel are clean.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

am searching for an Albin 36DC or 40DC with importance to low GPH, so preferably with the older engine.
A more more engine will be more economical if you are comparing it at the same boat speed. No question about that.
Actually a larger HP engine will be even better.
I proved this to myself when I repowered my old Mainship. The new, modern and much larger engine blew the old one away in economy (and performance).

That said my old Lehman 120 keeps ticking along.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
leroadrunner
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by leroadrunner »

From what I see reported a 120HP is more economical to run than 135HP...makes total logical sense. The search is on! I really like the layout of the 36! 40 are not so common.
Steph
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by psneeld »

leroadrunner wrote:From what I see reported a 120HP is more economical to run than 135HP...makes total logical sense. The search is on! I really like the layout of the 36! 40 are not so common.
I lucked out and spotted mine on a Florida Craig's list...was just Yahoo searching "Albin 40" and it popped up as a link. It dropped off Craig's list the next day but I had the phone number at that point...the guy was waffling on selling.

It turned out to be a real POS except for the fairly new 120 (he told me it was a 135) Lehman. Not much else was worth keeping...even the hull bottom was rotten. But she was 1/2 -2/3 the price of ones in reasonable shape with much older engines. Plus she was run to the Bahamas every year so everything worked plus had 400 gallons of week old fuel in her. He thought he sold too low...after tearing into her even though the surveyor thought she was underpriced...he got a deal (moral of the story...surveyors need close scrutiny while working and when you pick one).

I wouldn't be too concerned with 120 vs 135 Lehman...the difference won't be really noticeable and probably insignificant in running costs. Just buying fuel from one place over another will affect your fuel bill more unless you plan on burning more than 1000 gallons per year.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
sburgis
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Clair MI

Post by sburgis »

Roadrunner
You have heard it before, medical condition forces sale, motivated seller. This time it is true. We bought our 36 Albin in 2007 with plans to cruise. But the last couple of years just have not worked out.

Summer Triangle is seriously for sale. We listed her last fall with Curtis Stokes Here is a link to the listing:
http://tinyurl.com/lypsq4y

When we were cruising I kept a blog at http://burgis.org/st/summer_triangle_2007.htm and http://burgis.org/st/summer_triangle_2009.htm

The previous owner replaced the Lehman with a drop in replacement American Diesel 140 (6 cylinder naturally aspirated mechanical). This still can give the 1.5 to 2 GPH economy you are looking for. My experience is that mileage depends largely on throttle setting.

The boat is in St. Clair MI just below Lake Huron.

I am scheduled for knee replacement in September and would like to sell rather than store again for the winter. The broker is Mike Martin in Cleveland OH.
Steve Burgis
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by psneeld »

8 knots on the spec sheet as cruise....were you only burning 1.5-2.o gal/hr to get that speed?
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

There is an excellent article on boatdiesel.com that explains fuel burn vs. prop load. It is the amount of force required to turn the prop at a given rpm under given conditions that determines fuel burn. Boat weight, bottom condition, etc. will affect mpg more than engine displacement. The best way to decrease fuel burn is to lighten the load on the prop....go slower and lighter.
Now for the rebuttals...it's how I learn.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by psneeld »

Thanks...a little past all that...again thanks...

Just the 8 knot cruise and 1.5 even 2 gal/hr seems high compared to other posters here and other forums.... curious what his secret was.

One reason I'm skeptical is what my Previous Owner quoted me...should have done more research as his numbers were way off...I don't care but like fishing...I heard more than one exaggerated speed/fuel burn.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

I agree that 8 knots seems high. I can only get 8.4 out of mine at wot.
Regardless, worrying too much about a few tenths of a gallon an hour is kind of silly. In my experience you spend a lot of time at idle waiting for bridges or locks, etcetera it throws the numbers off.
Real numbers. 2 summers ago 2200 statute miles 325 engine hous , 630 gallons of diesel including maybe 20 gen hours. That was thru something like 160 locks so there was lots of idle hours. One lock was 1 1/2 hours of idling waiting. When running I was doing about 7.5 miles per hour when I could
You can do the math
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

I agree that 8 knots seems high. I can only get 8.4 out of mine at wot.
Regardless, worrying too much about a few tenths of a gallon an hour is kind of silly. In my experience you spend a lot of time at idle waiting for bridges or locks, etcetera it throws the numbers off.
Real numbers. 2 summers ago 2200 statute miles 325 engine hous , 630 gallons of diesel including maybe 20 gen hours. That was thru something like 160 locks so there was lots of idle hours. One lock was 1 1/2 hours of idling waiting. When running I was doing about 7.5 miles per hour when I could
You can do the math
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by psneeld »

My numbers are close to Jay's...3.3 NMPG and 1.9 Gal/hr and I'm averaging 6.3 knots...that's over the last 4000 miles or so.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler

Return to “36/37/40/43”