• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Which window caulk did you use?

Greatlaker221
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Kenosha, WI

Which window caulk did you use?

Post by Greatlaker221 »

I am starting a big window project. I have read many of the topics on the subject. The black goo used to install my windows now needs to be removed, but which caulk product is best? It cannot be permanent like 5200, it may seal well and last forever but very hard to remove if a window breaks. Please let me know what you used and how it worked out. What channel product did you choose? Thanks for your ideas. What's last forever
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Which window caulk did you use?

Post by jleonard »

Sikaflex, I think it was called 292 and there is a pre cleaner. Jamestown dist carries it, and maybe Defender or Hamilton.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
edgarcia737
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle, WA

Post by edgarcia737 »

Yes, Sikaflex works great. We replaced our fwd and aft windows three years ago, not one leak.
Greatlaker221
Mate
Mate

Post by Greatlaker221 »

Thank you for the info. Could it have been 296? with the Akivator as the primer? I found it on several websites as used in marine glass applications.The price was all over the place. Best at Merritt. Worst at JD. Here are some links:

http://www.merrittsupply.com/products/3 ... 96250.aspx

http://www.ehow.com/how_8712651_install ... x-296.html

http://www.bertram31.com/proj/tips/window.htm

Any one else have any options? Hasw anyone tried to remove Sika products once bonded? Just want to make sure the stuff can come off if a window is breaks.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Yes could have been 296. My next door marina neighbor just removed a large window from his egg harbor yesterday. I helped some. Goop was still soft after 30 years but we got the window out complete. He's going to use what the local glass shop suggests, when I find put I'll post
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Avalon, NJ

Post by psneeld »

When I switched over to aluminum window (frames)...I went with butyl tape...gald I did as when I loosened them to do interior woodwork...it was easy to pull off...rearrange the tape and add a little if necessary.

But it was so easy I could pull a window out, re-tape it and have it back in 15 minutes.

Wood winds would have made me think harder.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
Greatlaker221
Mate
Mate

Post by Greatlaker221 »

Scott. thanks for your reply. Is there a thread about your aluminum frame replacements? I have a 1976 Chris craft (for sale) with the same. No leaks in 38 years. No broken windows either. The Hershine, now has 6 broken windows and many leaks with interior damage. If it's not in a thread, how much were the he frames? Who made them up for you. At this point, it seems silly to re glaze the same failed system. If previous owners had re bedded the windows at 15 year intervals, I guess there would be few leaks. Now, I am looking for 30 year life cycle solutions at this point, or at least a system that can be maintained with reasonable effort. I am 54 and at 70 I don't want to be doing another big window project, just sippin jack and cussin the government. Thanks.

Return to “36/37/40/43”