• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

USB Chargers

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

USB Chargers

Post by crowra »

Relatively easy project. I got tired of charging our gadgets via an outlet and having wires everywhere (especially since my wife usually sits to the right of the wheel). Not to mention how inefficient it is to invert 12 volts DC to 120 AC then back to 5 volts DC. We now have port and starboard USB chargers along with a new 12-volt socket on the fly bridge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: USB Chargers

Post by DougSea »

Nice. That's been on my to-do list for a while for the very same reasons you mention. Is that the BlueSeas adapter? Do you know if it has 10w (iPad) power output?
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

Thanks Doug. Yes, I used Blue Seas. Amazon has them and they have several different kinds. The upper port (5V 1A) is 5 watts and the lower port (5V 2.1A) is 10.5 watts. You can get higher amp adapters if needed.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I really should have clicked on the photo! The answers to the power were right there. :?

Thanks again!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Post by seasalt »

This looks perfect for me unless I am missing something. I have an extra 12 volt plug on the bridge that could be changed to this device.

My needs are:

iPhone 5v...1 amp

Samsung Galaxy 7" Tablet 5v...2 amp

KIndle Paperwhite 5v...1 amp

What makes me think that I am missing something is that my 110 v iPhone charger will not charge my Kindle Paperwhite although the 110v input and 5 volt 1 amp output are the same.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
djblackwood
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Kingston, Ontario

Post by djblackwood »

It should be noted that the total output of this USB adapter is 2.1A, so you can charge either a single tablet such as an iPad, or two phones, but not a tablet and a phone at the same time. Otherwise it is quite nice and easy to install.
D. J. Blackwood
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Kingston, Ontario
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

Mine arrived yesterday from Amazon.

The proverbial 10 minute boat project it seemed at first. When I pulled the Perko two prong 12 volt plug that the new gadget was to replace, I noticed that the hole in the console is not nearly big enough. It needs to be bored out to 1 3/16" which will require a trip to the hardware store and bringing a vac to the bridge.

I have had several boats and have been fooled many times by the 10 minute boat project that takes all day.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Ron, why replace your standard 12 volt outlet? It would still be useful to have. Just add the USB port.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

Rob,

There are two 12 volt outlets up there...one is a cigarette lighter style and the other one is a two prong Perko plug with a rubber boot. I don't have any 12 volt accessories that have a two prong plug. My hand held spotlights are the cigarette lighter type.

My plan was to replace the Perko with the Blue Sea USB charger but that got complicated because the Perko is in a 3/4" hole and the Blue Sea requires a 1 3/16" hole. It is very difficult to enlarge an existing hole without a pilot hole to keep the saw from wobbling. I put the problem out on the Trawler Forum and got lots of interesting ways of enlarging the hole to consider.

1. Use a Dremel barrel sander to enlarge the hole.

2. Make a double hole saw...a 3/4" inside a 1 3/16" on the same mandrill. One contributor said that worked for him. My trip to Home Depot a few minutes ago failed to find a 3/4" hole saw that would drop inside a 1 3/16" hole saw and fit on a mandrill. This simple yet elegant and ingenious solution may be workable but not for me today.

3. Grind it out with a drill bit grinder. I would chip the gelcoat if I did that.

4. Forget the whole thing and buy a cigarette lighter USB like this one from Walmart for $2.97. Which is what I almost did. Then I changed my mind and ordered a better one from Amazon for $11.99.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Actually it isn't that hard to cut a larger hole. Buy the hole saw, drill a hole in a piece of scrap wood that you can clamp over the existing hole that you're trying to enlarge. Put your hole saw in the hole in the scrap and start your cut, as long as the scrap wood doesn't move you'll make a perfect cut. The hardest thing is centering the scrap wood over the hole.

Good luck!

Jay
djblackwood
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Kingston, Ontario

Post by djblackwood »

Or use a step bit - specifically designed for just such a problem. A dremel with a drum sander works too, it would just take a bit of time to go from 3/4" to 1-3/16". The BlueSea USB socket will actually fit a 1-1/8" quite snugly (you may have to screw it in).
D. J. Blackwood
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Kingston, Ontario
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

I sent the Blue Sea back to Amazon yesterday. But I now think that I know what I would do next time this situation arises. There is no way for me to clamp a scrap of wood either inside or outside the existing hole. Inside is barely accessible and outside is a large expanse not close to any edge that might hold a clamp. At first I thought the best way was the double hole saw method. But I found out that the hole saws available at Home Depot would not mate up properly on a single mandrill. Specialty hole saws for just one cut are expensive. If I were dealing with these same size holes next time I would find or cut out a 3/4" wooden plug to glue or wedge into the existing hole and go from there.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Having a bunch of hole saws is convenient for this for sure. What I do is extend the drill bit or use a 12" 1/4". We use these all the time for my day job. Put the smaller wood or other material you cut out on the drill just not all the way up into the larger hole saw and it will be your guide. I know its not for everyone but if your not comfortable find someone on your dock who works for beer or wine... 8)
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

salt

I know you have sent it back but in case you want to try again you could also use double sticky tape, like carpet tape, to hold the wood in place instead of clamps. If you're concerned that the tape might slip, having someone hold it in place while you drill should do the trick.
Jay
Pasteur
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Post by Pasteur »

Our house has these where people tend to charge their phones - kitchen, bed side, next to lounge chair, etc. I'm just about to add one to the outlet nearest the helm and will probably swap out the ones nearest the bunks, too.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Deco ... /205430236
Zero PSI and Zero PSII
2006 28TE FD, Yanmar
2004 31TE, Twin Yanmars
Jamestown, RI

Return to “Electronics”