• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

SCUBA

Moderator: RobS

Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

SCUBA

Post by Denis »

I just want to add my voice here. I know it's a fishing site but one of the things that I do while diving is spear fishing. Mostly for Black fish or fluke. To those that have never done it, it's a blast! You need to hide and try to hold your breath long enough to get them into range. They can hear the sound of you breathing and that scares them away, but when you can sneek up on them or hide from them long enough it's gives you a rush. Black fish usually swim in schools of 2 to 5 fish. The larger the fish, the whiter the skin and lips look, that is how to judge the size. You can see many very large fish but the larger they are the smarter they are also, it's harder to get them into range.
I see many striped bass while night diving, some very large. They will swim right up to you sometimes bumping into you. It kind of goons you out to get bumped at night when you can't see what it might be. After they hit you they always rocket off and they can really move. Most of my night diving is in the pursuit of lobsters, I love doing that and the reward is great also.
When I start diving this year I'll send in a report every once in a while.

Denis

Post by Guest »

Hi Denis,

Are you actually using SCUBA gear when you dive? It may be different in the northeast, but in Florida you have to free dive (no gear). You mentioned holding your breath so I assume your free diving.

Anyway, I've tried spear fishing down here in Florida a few times, but it seems I'm much better with a hook and line; besides, I can't hold a bottle a beer when I'm spearfishing :lol:

I'd love to hear some of your stories.

-Brian

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Hi Denis,

Are you actually using SCUBA gear when you dive? It may be different in the northeast, but in Florida you have to free dive (no gear). You mentioned holding your breath so I assume your free diving.

Anyway, I've tried spear fishing down here in Florida a few times, but it seems I'm much better with a hook and line; besides, I can't hold a bottle a beer when I'm spearfishing :lol:

I'd love to hear some of your stories.

-Brian
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Yes I am using SCUBA gear when I do all my diving. I only hold my breath when spear fishing when fish are near. They can hear the sound of your breathing and see the bubbles and it scares them.
I have my first dive of the year planned for the 26th. Going out after dark about two miles to a favorite reef to see what the lobster situation looks like. It's a little early and the water temp is about 45 so Im not sure what we'll see but I can't wait to get out there.
I know in Florida you don't even need a suit most of the time, but up here as you can see the heavier the better. Denis

Return to “Fishing”