• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Caterpillar starting problem resurfacing

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Caterpillar starting problem resurfacing

Post by Mariner »

I got a call the other day from Mom and Dad. They're in a secluded anchorage on Orcas Island and the engine won't start. Batteries show a good charge, everything lights up, but you push the start switch and nothing happens. This has been a problem a few times in the past, but had pretty much gone away. A couple possible source were; loose battery cables, bad batteries, and not letting the glow plugs warm up the engine. But we've worked through all of those. The start battery is good (though the house battery could be replaced). We've gotten in the habit of isolating the start battery when anchored or not on shorepower. We wait for the glow-plug lights to go off on the engine panel.

All that's left is the starter solenoid, so we're going to try replacing that. However it means I've got to take a day off from work and drive all the way up there (two hours plus a ferry ride) to help them. Plus, I have to track down a solenoid before doing so.

I sure hope this fixes it. They're afraid to go anywhere without a dock for fear of getting stuck. And I'm slated to take the boat from them in a week and I certianly want it working for me as well.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Hoped you checked the cable connections. I had just normal corrosion and it prevented my Albin from starting.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

Another simple solution might be the neutral safety switch in the transmission or controls. Especially if nothing happens when the starter is pressed.

If it's a solenoid, there's ususally a clicking sound, and a light tap with a hammer will help things along.

Another possibility is the ground wire on the engine block. That was the first thing my mechanic had me check when my starter went bad.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

We've checked and re-checked all the grounds and wire terminals. Don't think it's that.

The boat has electronic shifters, so there's no neutral safety switch. I have certainly made that mistake before though. One time on our last boat, I spent an hour crawling around in the blistering hot engine compartment trying to find the problem before I finally realized I had left the engine in gear.
DBM

Post by DBM »

I don't know much about deisels (yet) but on my gas engine, i had that proplem for months, turn the key and nothing. I finally chased it down to the relay that powers the selenoid.

Haven't had a problem since i replaced it.

Good Luck,

DBM
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Well, the starter and solenoid are being replaced today. If that doesn't solve the problem, I guess we'll have to dig deeper.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Mariner wrote:Well, the starter and solenoid are being replaced today. If that doesn't solve the problem, I guess we'll have to dig deeper.
Mariner,
I am sorry to hear they are stuck. That really sucks. AND, I hate to remind you of your post a couple of months ago about that problem. Didn't you end that with "it will probably happen again at the worst time"?
Sorry...but I just couldn't resist. Tell Mom and Dad we all wish them safe travels and hope this is the worst of it.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Unfortunately, replacing the starter and solenoid did not totally resolve the problem. I'm starting to think poor battery discipline is largely to blame. This never happens to me, and I'm very careful to always isolate the start battery when anchored, and make sure it gets a good charge before settling in for the night. Also, they've been able to get the engine started each time by giving the battery a solid charge off shorepower or the generator.

I'm headed up there tomorrow to take over the boat. I guess at the end of the trip I'll have some first hand experience with it.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Mariner,

Good luck on your trip!

Sure hope the problem is just "battery management". I've always tried to be very careful to keep my starting battery fully charged and switched off. Sometimes though I been distracted and forget to switch over. The only thing that saves me is I try to NEVER have all of my batteries switched on at the same time. I have friends who like to use the 'both' switch setting to make sure everything's charged but all it takes is a little 'brain fade' and the next time you're on the boat you're not starting!

Doug
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Hope things work out well Mariner. Have a good trip.
John
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

DougSea wrote:Mariner,

Good luck on your trip!

Sure hope the problem is just "battery management". I've always tried to be very careful to keep my starting battery fully charged and switched off. Sometimes though I been distracted and forget to switch over. The only thing that saves me is I try to NEVER have all of my batteries switched on at the same time. I have friends who like to use the 'both' switch setting to make sure everything's charged but all it takes is a little 'brain fade' and the next time you're on the boat you're not starting!

Doug
Ours is so complicated, and I made it even more complicated by adding the link to the third battery bank. There are TWO three position battery switches. Basically, the key is that you have to isolate the start and house batteries whenever not running, but combine them when you're not. If you forget to isolate, you will run the start battery dead. If you forget to combine, all your electronics will fail on you as soon as you tap the bow thruster or anchor windlass (or just slowly over time). This is especially bad since the engine is elecronically controlled. When the electronics shut off, so does the engine.

I need to add a charging relay, but there just isn't time. This would make it pretty much fool proof.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I spent ten nights on the boat and never once had trouble starting the engine, despite the fact that we were away from shorepower on most nights.

I suspect that a brush up on the the best way to manage the batteries will solve the problem.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Mariner,
That's good news. The "fix" doesn't involve replacing parts. AND, you got ten days on the boat.
John

Return to “Albin Maintenance”