• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Anchor Rode?

chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Anchor Rode?

Post by chiefrcd »

Anyone here use Brait line? My understanding is that it eliminates the twist and hockles that come with using three strain twisted nylon. It's also suppost to be stronger and have more stretch. I've read some pretty positive things but have not talked with anyone who wants to pay that much for anchor rode.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey Chief,

I don't have a braided rode but was thinking of switching to one. My windlass doesn't do well on the transition from rope to chain and it apears to be related to the stiffness of the traditional rode making the 90degree turn to drop into the anchor locker.

It's also advertised as being smaller for a given strength which means I could get more braided rode in my locker than traditional. Anchoring in Long Island Sound can mean anchoring in 25 feet, moving a few miles and anchoring in over 100 feet (!) so I need to carry more rode than some of the bay guys. I'd like to have 30-50 feet of chain with 200-300 feet of rode. (You'll note that's not the 7:1 ratio for the max. depth I work in but if the weather won't let me hold with 300' then I'm not staying there anyway!)

I'll be very interested in the responses you get to this post!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”