• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Sea Trial - Tips?

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Sea Trial - Tips?

Post by DougSea »

Hi all,

Well, things are looking good for my trip down to Maryland this weekend to check out a 1997 28 TE. I've been putting together a list of things to make sure I check out on the sea trial that I've arranged with the broker, but I thought I should run the question past you guys here on the forum. I did pull a list of engine checkout information off of Boatdiesel.com but there's a lot more to it than that.

As I said, she's a 1997 so obviously she's the engine box model. The engine is a Peninsular 300hp with 550 (+/-) hours. Manual head (saw the other comments on heads - have to review the options on that if I buy her), transom door, swim platform, windlass.

Any tips, both on things to look out for as well as 'normal' behaviors that might not be obvious to a person who's used to a 21' outboard walkaround (Aquasport 215 Explorer), would really help make sure I'm headed down the right path.

John - you'd mentioned the possibility of coming by to see your boat. I'd like to do that if the logistics work out. I'd planned on coming down with my wife but things didn't work out at home and she can't make the trip. Because of that I'm driving down and back in one day (one LONG day) but it would be great to swing by and check out 'Afterglow' if we can work it out.

Thanks in advance for any help and I'm looking forward to sharing my adventures with the forum.

Doug
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Make sure you test everything out. Especially if you think you are serious about buying the boat.

Trim tabs
Bow thruster
Inspect all systems plumbing, electrical, etc. Even if you don't know much about these systems, you look at them you will notice some things and if you are confused about what something is or if something looks weird ask about it. You may think the surveyour will look at these thing, and he will, but you should look at them to, b/f he does this way your familiarized with them.

Make sure all the electronics are functioning properly and with them on use the anchor windlass. This will test 2 things. 1) It will test the windlass function, 2) the windlass uses significantly more power during retrival and if it sucks the juice out of other electronics you will know that the windlass does not have its very own dedicated circuit.

When the boat is surveyed make sure they follow through with every last detail that they even suspect may be wrong with the boat. When our was surveyed the inspector thought there may be too much play in the steering. He sort of briefly said at the end of the survey that he would check with seastar to see if there should be. I asked him if he follwed through with it and he said he did, and that it was normal.

Upon taking the boat home (by sea, Grennwich Conn, to the South Shore of Long Island) we lost our steering near Lady Liberty. Luckily, just before we were to head out in the ocean that had confused 4-6' with an occasional 8 thrown in for fun. I did a mad look through of the boat and found hydraulic steering fluid, which tells me there was a certified problem with the steering system. It turns out, weeks later I finally found it, our steering cylinder was leaking. I return home to LI for the 4th, at which time I am going to try and rebuild the steering cylinder using a $50 seal kit purchased from seastar. If that doesn't work than the other option is replacing the cylinder at $350.

One last piece of advice. Are you using a broker? You should see if you can work out some type of escrow amount (about $2K) that is held for like 2 weeks from whence you take delivery on the boat in the event a major repair needs to be done. My father was able to do this, but he did most of his dealings during the winter and items like the air conditioner couldn't be tested then.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Doug,
This may be after the fact but here is a good article on sea trials.

http://www.soundingspub.com/ME2/dirmod. ... 44EDCDCA48
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

DougSea,

Did you make it down last weekend? What happened with the boat?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the various notes and tips, both in this thread and in the general discussion area.

The trip down to MD went well and I had a good sea trial, using many of the tips you all provided, with the broker, Sonny at Lippincott Marine. In fact it went well enough that I put an offer in on the boat.

Wish that was the end (or great beginning) to the story. My wife and I had planned on putting a set amount down on the boat and financing the rest. Unfortunately the bank doesn't seem to value older Albin's quite the way their owners do and the amount they are willing to finance won't do it for us. I made my offer in good faith but I think I'm going to have to back out of it because by the time I pay the taxes, mooring fees, survey fees, etc I just can't justify coming up with the gap between what I planned on putting down and what I'd need to. Luckily the contract has an out if I can't get the financing I need. I'll probably end up dropping my offer down a fair amount. The broker may be unhappy but I really don't have a choice (this isn't how I work!) Checking other banks as well.

In the meantime I've found a 1996 boat up in Massachusetts that may fit the bill (meaning it's priced lower!) My wife and I are heading up there tomorrow to look at it. It's in the sellers yard so no sea trial but it's worth an initial look. The bank has already indicated that they'll honor the commitment I have from them so a little negotiation may take care of it. And yes, I'd make the same offer to the original guy first, I just don't see him accepting it.

Anyway, that's the story. I'd love to end up with the MD boat, we'll just see what happens.

BTW - John, I reached out to one of the survey guys you recommended. If it looks like the MD boat could happen I'll probably use him - thanks again for the reference. Now I just need to get him to value it at the high end of the scale!

Hoping to own an Albin soon!

Doug
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Doug,
I feel your pain! I went through the same thing. The "book" value and the real value of these boats is far apart. My bank told me to shop around. They had tried to finance Albins before. That made me want the boat even more. A boat that holds value? I gotta have it!
Call this guy:

Dave Blancett
866-650-2488
757-546-7373
757-546-3928 FAX
dblancett@beaconcredit.com

Dave was very helpful when I contacted him. I did not finance through him but he was the closest with a good rate. I ended up getting an equity loan against my home. I don't know what your market is like but around here all they did was ride by and look at the house. No inspection, no closing costs. Nothing.
Also consider contacting Albinflorida on this board. He owns Massey yachts in florida.
http://www.masseyyacht.com/
He had one with a Volvo outdrive when I was looking . Very knowledgeable dealer.

Good luck and don't give up. I don't know how long you have been looking but some guys look for a year or more. I was lucky. I starting looking in November and settled in December.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Doug,

I hope all goes well and you get "your" Albin soon.
I kind of know how you are feeling. Prior to my buying my Albin, I had a survey from the previous owner that was done the previous year. That survey said the boat was in very good condition but that there were two areas that needed work, the front anchor hatch and the swim platform. The owner had the marina check for water intrusion, there was none, and then rebed the bolts holding the swim platform. He also had the two front hatches completly rebuilt. That was all of it. Now I come along and have another survey done and everything is perfect. I send the two surveys to my insurance company so I can insure the boat and the insurance broker calls and tells me "Do Not Buy this Boat". Her expert said this boat has a serious water intrusion problem and they will not insure it. I called both surveyors and they told me that boat is in pristine condition, go ahead and buy it, just get another insurance broker which I did. The new broker said he rarely sees favorable wording such as what were in my two surverys. Two completly different outlooks from two different experts.
Good luck and use your own head. Denis
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Hello again guys,

There must be some good karma going around. After my wife and I were all set to give up on the Maryland boat, and had driven through the POURING rain last weekend to check out a nice looking 1996 boat in Massachusetts - it looks like the Maryland deal may come together!

As I mentioned above I went back to the broker with the numbers I felt I could do, even spelling out exactly how I was arriving at them. Since he'd been involved with helping me find the bank he knew I was being completely above-board with him and he explained all of that to the seller, along with the fact that I didn't want to walk from the deal but was going to have to. Too my very great surprise they came back with a number much closer to mine. A couple of calls, a little more movement (up for me, down for him) and we have a deal!

So now I just need everyone to keep their fingers crossed that the survey goes well (John, I'm using Lon. Thanks for the referal) and I'll have 'my' Albin in a little over a week!!

In the meantime I wanted to say thanks to the guys here on the board for the advice and the good wishes. I'm headed down for the survey next Thursday, bringing my daughter along to check out 'her' spot in the Quarter berth - I'm trying to stay 'calm and detached' but I REALLY hope the boat checks out as well as I think it will.

So, thanks again guys, and have a very happy 4th!

Doug
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Good luck, I remember how exciting it was when I did the sea trial. Remember to make sure the boat will complete it's spec's. Use your eyes, ears and nose.....and follow that surveyer like a little puppy. Once it's your's you have to live with it, so now's the time to determine if she's the one for you...... :D
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Doug,

Calm and detached? Yeah right - good luck with that!

Cheers, and good luck with the survey.

Brian

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”