• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Steering fluid leak

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

vositis
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Emery Cove Yacht Harbor, CA

Steering fluid leak

Post by vositis »

My steering fluid seems to disappear any time I am not looking at it. It doesn't go away from use - it goes away when the boat sits in the slip patiently awaiting my return, like a home-bound puppy.

Have any of y'all seen this problem and could someone help me understand how the steering system actually works and where to start looking for this problem? I couldn't immediately find a fluid reservoir anywhere and feeling around the hydraulics I can't find any evidence of a leak. For that matter, I can't even locate the line the connects the steering wheel to the steering piston. Is it just a hydraulic line connecting the steering wheel? Is the hydraulic pump at the actual helm? How does this system work?

Thank you!!

-Vilis
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Steering fluid leak

Post by Nancy »

What model boat do you have? The CB and TE series mostly have Seastar hydraulic systems, and there are a number of threads here about repairing them. Sometimes the steering apparatus leaks at the steering wheel, which is very obvious because lots of oil runs down the fiberglass below the wheel. There is a cylinder at the stern near the rudder post, and that leaks, too, when the cylinder seals fail. Do a search here on "seastar" and you'll find lots of reading.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

Mine was leaking below the wheel when I got it. I thought that was the issue but it turns out it was leaking at the ram at the rudder also. I looked into getting it rebuilt but decided to replace it instead with a larger unit.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
vositis
Mate
Mate

Post by vositis »

Nancy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:00 pm What model boat do you have? The CB and TE series mostly have Seastar hydraulic systems, and there are a number of threads here about repairing them. Sometimes the steering apparatus leaks at the steering wheel, which is very obvious because lots of oil runs down the fiberglass below the wheel. There is a cylinder at the stern near the rudder post, and that leaks, too, when the cylinder seals fail. Do a search here on "seastar" and you'll find lots of reading.
I have a 28 TE Flushdeck.

I don't SEE anything under the steering wheel - do you mean, like behind the console? It's definitely not running down where I could see it without opening a panel or something?
vositis
Mate
Mate

Post by vositis »

Jkraft wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:13 am Mine was leaking below the wheel when I got it. I thought that was the issue but it turns out it was leaking at the ram at the rudder also. I looked into getting it rebuilt but decided to replace it instead with a larger unit.
So... To be honest, I don't know which ram back there is the steering and which is the autopilot. I am TOTALLY down with replacing the whole thing!!

Any leads on what to look for to do that?

Thank you!!!
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

vositis wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:01 am
Jkraft wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:13 am Mine was leaking below the wheel when I got it. I thought that was the issue but it turns out it was leaking at the ram at the rudder also. I looked into getting it rebuilt but decided to replace it instead with a larger unit.
So... To be honest, I don't know which ram back there is the steering and which is the autopilot. I am TOTALLY down with replacing the whole thing!!

Any leads on what to look for to do that?

Thank you!!!
You have two rams? I only have one that attaches to the ruder and the autopilot ties into that with hydraulic lines. I ended up installing a heavier duty steering ram because the factory installed ones on the 28 was sized pretty small, borderline for that boat. I looked into having the ram rebuilt and was told by a few shops that its really better to go new for longevity.

The factory ram is the HC5132 and that is rated for boats up to 26'. That autopilot works HARD in a following sea on these boats so we upgraded it to the HC 5313. It fits the same footprint, same shaft length but thicker diameter.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
vositis
Mate
Mate

Post by vositis »

Jkraft wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:24 am
You have two rams? I only have one that attaches to the ruder and the autopilot ties into that with hydraulic lines. I ended up installing a heavier duty steering ram because the factory installed ones on the 28 was sized pretty small, borderline for that boat. I looked into having the ram rebuilt and was told by a few shops that its really better to go new for longevity.

The factory ram is the HC5132 and that is rated for boats up to 26'. That autopilot works HARD in a following sea on these boats so we upgraded it to the HC 5313. It fits the same footprint, same shaft length but thicker diameter.
I don't know... I think one thingy is the position sensor, the other must be the ram. When you turn the wheel, does that control the same ram as the autopilot controls?

I just ordered a HC 5313 and I'll drop that in there. In the process I'll hopefully learn what's going on down there!!

Thank you!!

-VO
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

vositis wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:48 pm
Jkraft wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:24 am

I don't know... I think one thingy is the position sensor, the other must be the ram. When you turn the wheel, does that control the same ram as the autopilot controls?

I just ordered a HC 5313 and I'll drop that in there. In the process I'll hopefully learn what's going on down there!!

Thank you!!

-VO
Yes, the same ram that the autopilot controls is the one that the helm wheel control. You might have a rudder angle indicator on your boat. That could explain the other thing you are seeing.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Some photos would go a long way to helping you solve these mysteries.
If you don't see oil running down the fiberglass below the steering wheel, then you probably don't have a leak at the steering column.
When the steering cylinder (at the stern near the rudder post) fails, you can see oil leaking from it.
But you've already ordered a new cylinder, so if that was the problem, the new cylinder should cure it. I'm a little concerned that you're replacing parts without being sure that they've gone bad, but I could be interpreting that incorrectly.
As for the autopilot thingies and controls, I leave that to people who have them; I don't.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Nancy:
Good thing you don’t know what you’re missing!
The AP is a marvelous, remarkably useful and reliable navigation aid. Don’t ever try one………😊. Don.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

Ditto what Don said! When you finally find your dream 35 it’s a must have! Are we a bad influence??? 😇
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Don and JBK, oh, I haven't always been deprived. :D We had autopilot on our 24' Grady White. Pretty sweet.

Yup, you like spending other people's money almost as much as I do! Good thing the 28TE tracks so well! Get her trimmed right, and there's no weather helm. Oops, there's the sailor in me. 8)
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats

Return to “Albin Maintenance”