• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

line cutter

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

line cutter

Post by gmberkley »

Does anyone have any experience or comments about installing a line cutter on the propeller shaft of an Albin 28 TE?
Gregg M. Berkley 25 Ton Master USCG
2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck
Fairhaven, MA
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Re: line cutter

Post by Jkraft »

I saw a 28 TE for sale with a shaft shark. Install looks pretty straight forward.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

I'm told that the "shark" is the better line cutter of the ones available out there, but there's not enough room on the shaft for both a cutter and a zinc, and the zinc is more important............
Fairhaven, MA
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

gmberkley wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:00 am I'm told that the "shark" is the better line cutter of the ones available out there, but there's not enough room on the shaft for both a cutter and a zinc, and the zinc is more important............
You are correct, there is not room for both. That being said, if your system is properly bonded, a shaft zinc may not be needed but you will need to make that decision for yourself. Mine did not have a zinc on the shaft when I bought it and it does not today and there have been no ill effects. I do have zincs on my tabs & rudder & a giant z5 on my transom. I asked a couple of very reputable service yards about it when my boat was being worked on and they both determined that I did not need a shaft zinc. I was quite worried about it.

If you don't feel comfortable not having a shaft zinc, you could put a prop nut zincs on instead, or you can use a shaft bonding brush to get around it also.

We use the shark on my dad's 36 Judge and it works fantastically.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I don't have a zinc on my shaft either - mine is bonded through the gearbox and back to the busbar
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

my concern is the zinc I placed on the shaft year, disintegrated at some point during the season, and was MIA when I pulled the boat. I do have zincs on the rudder and trim tabs, but I don't have a zinc on my transom. So my initial thought is based on the demise of my shaft zinc last year, I better put another one back on, and forgo a cutter, which is disappointing.

thanks for all your input, greatly appreciated as always.
Fairhaven, MA
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

who knew?? never even thought of that as an option, thank you very much, another of the many reasons to join this group.
Fairhaven, MA
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I did not have room on the shaft of my 28TE for a collar anode and opted for the PropNut Anode .. it worked out very well.
https://www.boatzincs.com/propeller-nut ... nodes.html

As JB pointed out, this will give you the room for a line cutter. There are a couple of makes for the collar anode type along with Shaft Shark and the RE Thomas Piranha. I have spurs on my 31TE and fill the void between the spurs and prop with zinc anodes.

20180612_154716 (2).jpg

In addition, another consideration is the installation of a galvonic isolator. I had installed one on my 28TE and I'm putting one on the 31 this spring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

Kevin,
what is a galvonic isolator, where does it get installed, thanks
Fairhaven, MA
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

gmberkley wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:53 am Kevin,

Kevin is giving great advice

Here is some info on them. https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/ex ... -explained

I think it’s a good idea for all of our boats to have one. You may already have it and not know too. When I was having my boat worked on I asked my electronics guy to put one on and he called and said you already have one. Mine is located right above the port side power connection and it’s mounted to the wood backing for the rub rail
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

gmberkley wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:53 am Kevin,
JB's link to the Boat US article is a good explanation and directs all new installs of GI's to be "Fail Safe" units. Pro Mariner has one and it's readily available.

In short a GI maintains the ground safety, but isolates your AC system from others, stopping/reducing the electrical erosion of your zincs.

I was originally going to install one in my 31 back in 2015, but other projects surfaced pushing it off and down the list. Last season my dock neighbor brought a new boat into his slip and my anodes were much more significantly reduced by season's end thus pushing the installation of a GI back up to the top of the commissioning list for 2022.
To comply with ABYC and with two 30 amp power inlets, I'll be installing the ProMariner ProSafe FS (FailSafe) 60 Amp Galvanic Isolator. For the 28TE boats with one 30 amp inlet they have the ProSafe FS30 30 Amp Galvanic Isolator.

In the early days of my 28 I was at a marina that had funky shore power wiring and I had significant anode loss where I would have to replace under water and engine anodes mid season. I added the GI and that issue ended which became very telling.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Would a GI do any good on an A25 with no shore power? (We do stick a cord out the window, don't tell anybody. And this only very rarely when we need to charge up cell phones and laptop AND when power is included in the slip fee.)

I ask because I usually have to replace the anode on the prop shaft at least twice between May and October. Thrice would be better. I also have an anode on the skeg strut. This holds the bottom of the rudder shaft. It has never needed replacement but I keep it for a sort of "curb feeler" when trailering. Believe me it has served us well in that capacity.

No nothing is interconnected. No thru-hulls, no shaft brush, no access ladder bonding. The shaft is also isolated from the engine via an R&D Engineering shaft saver coupler. No strap there either. There are two zincs in the aftermarket heat exchange and one I recently discovered on the water cooled transmission

I can keep changing zincs and save the GI until I install a real shore power connection. But if it is magic as some claim it to be...AND if I can eliminate the shaft anode. Nice.
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

just when I start to think I have a clue...........BANG, reality hits, started by asking about a line cutter, and now realize there's a bit more to it, I don't know if I have an isolator, , I'll have to ask the mechanic that is working on my boat, if I don't have one, that is next. Thank you all again........
Fairhaven, MA
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

gmberkley wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:03 pm just when I start to think I have a clue...........BANG, reality hits, started by asking about a line cutter, and now realize there's a bit more to it, I don't know if I have an isolator, , I'll have to ask the mechanic that is working on my boat, if I don't have one, that is next. Thank you all again........
Gregg - The GI would be mounted between the 30 amp shore power inlet and the main breaker for the AC power. Given the year of your boat there is most likely a breaker box mounted somewhere between the shore power inlet and the AC panel down n the cabin.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Albin Maintenance”